Wednesday, November 5, 2008

What a Learning Experience









What a day for the Kiefer family yesterday! We've been spending some time focusing on the election, voting, our government, our responsibilities..... the list goes on and on! Maybe most importantly I've been trying to convey to the kids that we, as citizens, need to be involved in the process. We have a voice.

They came with me to vote yesterday and I walked them through it. We spent the day volunteering at the church. The kids greeted voters as they came and went. They did a great job offering the public free cookies, coffee and Bibles. Our homeschool support group, LIFE, even held a mock election of our own. (Tavian voted for "Badack Odama" ---- HILARIOUS!) The kids had a blast!

We came home last night, had dinner and then piled in the playroom in front of the t.v. with our electoral college maps. As results began coming in, the kids colored in the states. They were passionate about it. I kept encouraging them to take a break or go play and I'd holler for them when things changed... but they wanted to sit right there. They didn't want to risk missing anything.

When all was said and done we watched both John McCain and Barack Obama address the nation. Then the kids prayed for both of them. What a life lesson for these little people. I think it definitely made a huge impact on them.

This morning we talked more about "the positives." I felt the need to reinforce to the kids that neither was a "bad guy." That John McCain would still serve our country, like he has since before I was born. And that Barack Obama wants to do good things for them and their future. So we committed to pray for him, to help ensure that that would happen.

All in all, a great experience as a family.

9 comments:

Nicholle said...

How awesome!! Great way to stay positive!

Anonymous said...

I took pictures too. I hope the kids never forget this election....

jeramy sossaman said...

kudos to you for involving them. this was the first time i remember my kids even being aware of the election. it's neat for them to start thinking bigger then themselves. way to go!

Cheryl said...

I'm sure they will never forget this election! We spent the evening doing the same thing, Rian was soooo focused on filling in that map. It was fun to see him so involved in the process

Anonymous said...

this is so awesome!! i'm so proud that my cousins were into the election. and i think it's so cool that you're teaching them to be involved!! you rock!

Natalie said...

It really was a great learning experience! I like J, didn't even pay attention to what elections were when I was a kid... They will never forget this...

Stephanie Karnes said...

you are such a great teacher and mom!! an experience they will never forget!!

Pastor's Perspective said...

Great day - great memories - great lessons - great LAUGHS! You're an amzing teacher Honey.

james said...

There was an election?????? wow hadnt heard anything about it??? Must be a Cali thing.